Friday, November 11, 2011

Stepping rightly, with my left foot in front!

I've just booked the ticket.  On Thursday, 11/17, I'll arrive in Baltimore by plane, take the train to the city center, and be picked up by a friend, who is hosting me for this event.

Friday, I'll be dropped off in Rising Sun, MD.  From there, I will walk to Bel Air, MD, approximately 20+ miles.  There will be a General Assembly that night followed, hopefully, by a dirty martini and laughs with my friends.

Saturday will be a repeat of the same, but from Bel Air to Baltimore.  In all, I will log about fifty miles.  I'm going to start walking every day until then, in the hopes of being somewhat physically prepared.

I remember walking to raise money for victims of multiple sclerosis when I was a child. The walks were fun, as my friends and I gossiped and ate candy every step of the way. I don't remember talking about Jerry's Kids, though. But this is a horse of a different stripe.  I'm walking my talk, so to speak, feeling light in my shoes, ready to be a part of history. 

But I ask myself, will this be remembered fifty years from now? Will any meaningful change come about as a result of some concerned people making a trek? Striking during lunch hour? Blogging about the absurdities of our current political situation?

Doesn't matter.  The point is to be here.  NOW.  To be here now.  In the moment.  To seize the moment. My voice, with other voices, now. This is democracy in motion. 

Thanks for checking in!




No comments:

Post a Comment