Monday, November 21, 2011

The Day that Didn't Happen


Unfortunately, my body didn't hold up for Saturday's walk into Baltimore. I slept late, found I could barely move on waking, and knew that I had done all I could do.  I'm not that twelve year old girl who blithely walked miles for charity.  But I had a day of it, and it was sublime.  There is nothing like working for the common good that brings people together.  Our pedigree evaporated with the morning mist. Our collectivism is what mattered.  How else would you find the homeless and the privileged walking side-by-side, engaged in conversation, seeing the same rainbow?

This movement is composed of people from every walk of life:  soccer moms, disenfranchised homeless, unemployed college graduates, employed college graduates, war veterans, homemakers, young and old, anarchists and intellectuals, entrepreneurs, politicians, organizers and amateurs. I had suspected from the start that the movement was composed of more than just “dirty cretins” as I heard the Occupiers described by one CNN talking head.  And I was fortunate enough to find out for myself.
This movement is like the proverbial elephant felt by seven blind men:  one can feel the tail and describes the animal as furry and skinny, another can feel the leg and describes the elephant as a pillar, etc. (For this story, follow the link). Yes, there are some who protest by defecating on the American flag.  This is a despicable act.  But to judge the movement and what it stands for on a single image or protester also does no good. Find out for yourself.  Follow the movement on Twitter:  occupydcmeda; #occupywallstreet; Occupy_Tweets; Walking Occupation. 


And thanks for checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment